Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spring Cleaning
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown
Matthew 8:2 (NIV)
“…Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”

Martha Stewart offers a comprehensive checklist for those who want to tackle spring cleaning room by room. I wish I was joking. Apparently, I would fail her spring cleaning 101 course. Not once have I turned off my circuit breaker and dusted the coils underneath my refrigerator. Oops! I have never successfully machine-washed my pillows either. The last time I tried doing that my washing machine looked like a swan had taken a nosedive into the spin cycle ... oh well.

However, as I looked at this comprehensive (yes … I am going to repeat this word here) list, a thought occurred to me: While I may not have a Martha Stewart-certified clean home, do I have a Jesus-certified clean heart? If I go room by room, will I find certain areas of clutter, dirt, and stains in my life? I say we go ahead and take a look. Let’s see if there is any spring cleaning that needs to be accomplished before we get into those lazy, crazy days of summer…

Organize the Family Room:
Family comes right after God on my list of priorities. Am I treating them as such? Do I graciously serve them when and where they need serving? Do I secretly want something in return? Do I love them through not just their successful days, but their difficult days as well? Have I shown them patience when they push my buttons? Have I been able to put their needs ahead of my own – every time? If so, what do I hope to gain from the sacrifice? In essence, have I organized my priorities to reflect God first and family second?

Declutter the Living Room:
Our family has a list of core values around which our lives are focused. These words define how we want to live and what attributes are most important to us as a family. In our house, these words are God-centered and are aligned towards peace, respect, health/safety, and fun. As an individual, I have latched on to one more – joy. Do our decisions reflect our family values? Do our activities, behaviors, and attitudes demonstrate them? Are we parenting with these core values in mind – not only teaching them, but modeling them for our children? Have we decluttered our lives and focused solely on God, peace, joy, respect, health, and fun rather than trying to do everything and introducing chaos?

Restock the Kitchen:
We all need food. It’s the fuel that keeps us going – not to mention the sustenance that keeps us alive. Water is even more critical to our survival. Spiritually, our fuel is the living, breathing Word of God. Our water came in the form of our Savior, Jesus. Am I spending time in His Word and following His Son? Do I walk with purpose, and am I running toward the goal that He has paved for me? Or, am I feeling weary and worn-out? Have I restocked what’s empty? Do I need to look inside my heart’s kitchen and drink from my living water so that I am thirsty no more? (John 4:13-14)Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’”

Scrub the Home Office:
Some people work to live – others live to work. I don’t care much about either one. The question I want to ask is, “Am I working for the Lord?” No matter what I am doing, can I say I have done it with integrity? Is my work ethic strong? Have I done my best – every day – knowing my best may change day to day? Do I take responsibility for my mistakes? Am I a team player? Have I said thank you to those who have helped me with my work – no matter what it is that I am doing? Have I scrubbed the ugly pride and success-driven behavior out? And, have I replaced them with humility and grace?

Deep Clean the Bedroom:
Before you all panic and think I need to assign this devotional an “R-rating,” relax. My heart’s bedroom is intimacy … and authenticity. You can’t have one without the other. Does the inside me match the outside me? Am I communicating with those I love in a way that speaks from my heart? Am I sharing feelings or instead stuffing emotions down deep where they can create a messy disaster – an ugly stain? Am I being real … authentic? Are there secrets I need to share – even if it’s just with God? Have I taken the opportunity to remove all the stains by handing them over to God and asking for forgiveness? Intimacy stems from authenticity – both in our relationships with those around us and in our relationship with God.

As the dog days of summer creep near, a time when no one is quite in the mood to do any heavy cleaning and prioritizing, I hope we all take the time right now to do some spring cleaning – not just in our homes, but also within our hearts.

Let’s throw out what we don’t need – envy, gossip, comparisons, and anger – and fill our hearts back up with what we do need – truth, righteousness, grace, and love.

There’s nothing better than a clean house with its fresh smell, shiny furniture, and crystal-clear windows.

Oh, except maybe a clean heart, fresh perspective, shiny outlook, and crystal-clear conscience.


Prayer “…Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.” (Matthew 8:2) I am willing to be cleansed, Lord. Move my selfish ways aside, and do good work within me. Make my heart clean. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment