Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Expanding Our Territory for God: Haiti Day 4
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Photo of Haiti Mission Team June 14, 2013
Taken on Heartline Ministries' Purchased Land



















1 Chronicles 4:10 (ESV)
“Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!’ And God granted what he asked.”

Sometimes, I don’t think I am the sharpest tool in the … well, you know.

There are times that I believe God has to get my attention with repetition – a lot of repetition. Sometimes, I ask for confirmation, especially with big decisions or important life changes. And, God provides those confirmations. Sometimes, I continue to miss a crucial lesson or piece of advice, so I believe God allows that message to come up over and over … and over again. Other times, I need an inspiring life application in order to truly live out the advice I have received from His Word. This fourth day in Haiti brought one of those repeatable messages back into my narrow world. I believe I should share it with you. It’s a good one!

One week before I left for Haiti, the Senior Pastor at my church (Mecklenburg Community Church in Charlotte) gave a sermon on the “Prayer of Jabez.” “Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!’ And God granted what he asked.” It was just plain awesome. It was a message I needed to hear, especially as I prepared my heart for travel to Haiti. That week before I departed, my husband and I prayed for God to bless us and expand our “area of influence” as the prayer teaches.

On day four in Haiti, our group took a break from the work to walk to the back of the property owned by Heartline Ministries. There, the Director showed us where the property line ended and the land just behind it was for sale. He explained that in order to start construction on the maternity center they would need to purchase that extra land. He and the seller had been in negotiations for awhile. He asked if we could pray that God would provide the finances to expand the land so that He may be glorified through the service that the new maternity center would provide. The head of the ministry talked about his vision for the center – the one God had placed on his heart. He asked us to look at the barren dirt but instead see the women coming in and out of the new center – full of hope, joy, and peace – knowing they and their children would be well-cared for. He asked us to listen and hear the babies’ healthy cries. We did. Looking at the dirt and the scarce tree or two, I became tearful. This country and its people have been through so much.

Source: Livesay Family Blog
(Haitian Missionaries)
While I prayed for the expansion of Heartline Ministries’ territory, the Prayer of Jabez dropped into my heart. At once, I appreciated the deeper meaning of the prayer. This wasn't just about praying for more physical land. I also prayed for the women who would enter the doors of the maternity center – for their hearts and their relationships with their Savior – their spiritual territory. I prayed for their emotional territory. I prayed for their families and the territory made up of their future generations. I asked God to keep His hand on this ministry and bless it as He saw fit. “God expand Your territory here. Bless this ministry and the land they seek. Bless the women who will come here for care. Bless the babies – Your babies – who will be born and cared for here. I pray for their hearts … that they come to know You through the work done by these passionate followers of Christ. Bless this nation – one of the poorest in the world, God. Keep them from further harm.”

The Prayer of Jabez seeped into my heart for my own life too. Every day for three weeks now, I have prayed for God to expand my borders. My hope is that more people find something special in this blog. I have asked God to expand my influence through the book I am writing, through the talks I have yet to give, and through living life with His will at the forefront of my desires. However, I understand that in order to make this prayer authentic and pure, I must release my expectations of where God will bless me. I must fully trust Him to expand my influence for His Kingdom in any way He sees fit – not just in the areas I want to be blessed. My vision is tunneled; His is perfect.

My prayer is that God keeps His hand on me. For, I know with every ounce of my being that none of this is possible without Him. I pray for His protection from evil and harm. And, I pray that I continue to be a fragile cracked jar that allows His light to shine through – never shattering and always giving Him the glory.


Prayer – Lord, this blog is nothing without You. You are the Master writer, the Master planner, and the Master “Blesser.” I will trust in You in all areas of my life. I will boldly ask for Your blessings and, in return, give You all of me and all the glory. I pray for the Haitian people and for Heartline Ministries – that they see the fruit of their faith. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment