Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Is it You?
By Cortney Donelson

John 11:35 (NIV)
“Jesus wept.”

Source: Unknown
















In my opinion, I don’t know if there has been a more powerful two-word sentence ever written than this: 

“Jesus wept.” 

In John’s gospel, Jesus had just learned of Lazarus’s death. Lazarus’s sister, Mary, who is also Jesus’s close friend, was filled with grief and sobbing at His feet. Upon witnessing Mary’s anguish, Jesus was overcome with emotion. Jesus felt every bit of Mary’s pain. It did not matter that He already knew He would raise Lazarus from the dead. Jesus’s sorrow – His love - was so profound, that He didn’t just cry. The King of Kings and Savior of the world, who knew He would soon crush all of death under His feet - He wept. 

I do not know for whom this devotion is written. I just know it is for someone specific. Is it you?

A few weeks ago, I was driving alone in my car. As is typical for these solo drives, I was singing along with worship music. I sing loudly. I don’t just follow along in my head, hum, or mouth the words. I belt out the verses of these songs. If you were to stop beside me at a red light, you might think I was crazy. I get lost in the music. It’s just what I do.

This particular day, a song came on the radio that I had heard a few dozen times. This time, as I listened and sang along, something happened. 

How Sweet the Sound (Citizen Way)
Yea though I walk through the valley
I know that You are always right beside me
And I will fear no evil
You're my rock
And my strength
You comfort me

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
I hear You singing over me
I once was lost but now I'm found
And it's beautiful
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
It covers every part of me
My soul is silent
I am found
And it's a beautiful sound

You carry me through the waters
Where Your peace clears away all my sorrow
And nothing can separate us from Your love
Oh, Your love it will always be

You were healing in the pain
You were shelter in the storm
Hallelujah You restore my soul

As I sang, I wept. I felt no sorrow. No grief. No anguish. No pain. I wept with tears that soaked my face and neck. I just could not stop. My throat never constricted like it does when my own raw emotion is attached to my tears. As I sang and wept, I felt the overpowering sensation that I was weeping Jesus’s tears, and they were tears for someone else. I had no idea who that someone might have been – I still don’t. Is it you?

Jesus wept for Lazarus. He wept for Mary. Jesus weeps for us. When we walk through a darkness filled with deep sorrow or pain, Jesus is there. He cares. He loves us through it. When jobs are lost. When food is scarce. When our children struggle with a fatal disease. When our marriages end. When our safety is betrayed. When our innocence is stolen. When our homes are destroyed. When our nation is under attack. When our pain is so great that we think it just can’t get any worse, Jesus weeps for us. 

That day in the car, Jesus was weeping through me. Was it for you? 

I have had this devotion on my heart for two weeks now. I wanted to write and publish it last week. I felt like someone needed to hear it then. Someone needed to know that Jesus sees him (or her). He cares about him. He loves him. However, I allowed my busy schedule and other things to get in the way of doing what I believe God laid on my heart to accomplish. I may have missed God’s will and perfect timing. I feel like this week might be too late for that someone. And, I am sorry. 

I do know that God can take my procrastination and create something meaningful in His perfect way. In that promise, I find some relief. I also know that God’s love is so vast and so good that He uses many different ways to show it. In this case, I believe He is using someone who is not currently living in a dark place to weep and write for another. Me. In that sense, I am overwhelmed and humbled by His plan. I hope I have reached that individual who needed to know this … to know that Jesus wept for him. If it is not you, is it someone you know? 

If nothing else, we could all remember this: God’s love is so powerful that it can make a Savior weep. He wept for Lazarus and Mary. He will weep for you too. 



Prayer – God, I have experienced something I cannot explain. I wept without feeling. I can only assume it was You, weeping through me, and I pray I was not too late in getting Your message out. You love someone so deeply and so vastly, that You wept for them. You want them to know You see them. You care about what they are going through. You love them. Thank You for that love.  In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

© 2014 As a Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment