Monday, December 7, 2015

Spectator of the World
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Dailyspectator.com














Do you ever experience moments when words or phrases jump out at you? You read something, or someone says something, and you just know that God is trying to get your attention? I don’t think that happens to only me. I would bet my chocolate bars that it happens all the time and to all of us. Perhaps the better question is, “What happens when we actually stop and reflect on what God is saying to us?” 

The pastor at my church often poses two questions that have now become a daily mantra in our household: “What is God telling you?” and “What are you going to do about it?”

This morning, I was participating in a prayer meeting at my son’s school. It’s a small, private, Christian school that has truly answered so many of our prayers that I could cry just thinking about it. The facilitator read from Ann Voskamp’s book, “The Greatest Gift.” Can I just tell you that I adore Ann Voskamp! No, I have never met her, but I feel like I know her! I led a bible study based on her book, “One Thousand Gifts,” and I fell in love with her deep affection for reflection. 

So, as I listened to the excerpt this morning, a seemingly simple four-word phrase moved me so strongly that I took my pen and wrote it down on my prayer card. As I wrote, God started unloading on my heart. I heard most of the remaining excerpt read out loud, but I was also listening to God as He held my hand and encouraged me to start writing devotions again. This four-word phrase was to be the next title. And, the content flooded my mind as I sat in that prayer room. 

Spectator of the world. Ann Voskamp was encouraging the readers to take in all the beauty and majesty of the Creator each and every day. To soak in His love through what is around us. And, it was an amazing message … one that moved a couple ladies to tears. 

However, God was telling me that my next devotion was about how I needed to get back to being a spectator of the world. I have been spending so much time trying to be PART OF the world, CONTROL the world, and be important TO the world, that I’m missing the very crucial fact that I am NOT OF this world. None of us are! God created us to be spectators of this place as we move through this part of history – on our way to our true home in the Kingdom of Heaven. The world is simply a rest stop. He placed us here for a mission. A holy purpose. And, that purpose, my dear friends, is not to get lost in this fallen place, striving for earthly perfection, human praise, or society’s accolades.  

I have not been resting or spectating much lately. These past six (or twenty!) months, I have lost myself in the busyness of this world. I have rushed. I have stressed. I have worried. I have controlled. Not good! God impressed upon me this past week that He is saying, enough, my sweet child. I have not called you to become part of this chaotic world. I have called you to enter it, reflect on it, discern what you see, write about it as I lead you, and to be a simple spectator so that you might hear me clearly so that you might lead others to me too. Spectators start by watching and listening. They still feel! They feel compassion, elation, disappointment, and joy, just as the disciples did. Those emotions then create the right action plan. Spectators cheer when things go well (like when the Great Commandment reigns). They cry when things don’t. They build up others – always!

I need to get back to being a spectator, rather than a player, of this world. I must remain in love with God. I was designed for a greater place and purpose than what "here" offers. He reminded me that I was too busy joining the world that I was losing sight of Him and His world.  If I don’t sit back, reflect, listen, hear, abide, and watch what He is doing around me – what He is doing in the Kingdom of God - I will miss the whole thing. 

Dang. I don’t want that! 

Prayer: Father God, forgive me! I have been so busy being a player of the world that I’ve lost my way. I’ve been trying to be and do all things that matter to this world but not to You. Teach me to rest in You, find peace in You, and guide me to see You all around me. Jesus showed us how to manage the best life rhythm – going off on His own to spend time with You and hear You – sometimes in His busiest moments. Teach me to shake off worldly expectations and discern the true purpose You have for me. I’m ready. Thank you for Your grace which flows relentlessly. I need every bit of it. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen. 


Influenced by 1 John 2, Romans 12:2, James 4:4, Colossians 2:8, Matthew 6:24, 1 John 3:13


©2015 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

My book, "Clay Jar Cracked," is now available on Lulu.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retail sites, and including print, e-pub, nook, and kindle versions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment