Thursday, January 7, 2016

Really, What Does Child of God Mean?
By Cortney Donelson

Source Cred: Unknown














“Dad, can I tell you something?”

I overheard my 11-year old son asking my husband this question a few weeks ago. It’s one he’s often asked me. “Mom, can I tell you something?” This time, the phrase stopped me dead in my hair-drying tracks. Both my heart and soul melted right there on the bathroom floor. From their storage sheds, tears surfaced in my eyes. I couldn’t even blame the frigid Michigan air (which was our Christmas-time location). With sudden clarity, I heard the result of a raw, honest, open, trusting relationship between a child and parent. 

Oh dear and precious boy of mine, YES! Please tell me something. Tell me anything. Talk to me. Share with me. Reveal yourself to me. Trust me enough with your inner secret things. I want to know you. Really know you. I love you more than I can explain, and everything you say is important to me. 

Then came the revelation: THAT is how God wants us to talk to Him. “Daddy… Lord… God… can I tell you something?” God wants us to reveal ourselves to Him. Not because we feel like we have to. Not because He’s asked us to. When we’re trapped in the car with our seatbelts fastened, He doesn’t swoop in and ask the usual cliché, “How was your day?” His desire is for us to come to Him out of our own personal desire. Why? It’s important to Him. We are important to Him. Just like Marc’s and my response to our own son, “Of course! What is it you want to tell me?” God is waiting in expectancy for our stories, our hopes, our dreams. He is even waiting for us to tell Him about our doubts, fears, and questions. God wants all of us, not just pieces of us. He wants the good, the bad, and the obnoxious. He wants our vulnerability. He can handle any of it. He’ll love us through all of it.

Of course, Marc and I are not perfect. We are thankful when we do get these moments “right,” such as this Christmas instance. Yeah, of course, bud. What is it? There are times, though, when we miss an opportunity and remain somewhat tuned out in the midst of our own distractions. We are half listening, busy doing other things. But, God is perfect. He is there all the time, completely tuned in and engaged. Scripture says He races across the skies to hear us and rescue us. He draws near to us as we draw near to Him. He is always present. His love knows no limits. This is the reason we strive so hard to teach our kids to build their own trusting and tender relationship with Jesus. We will stumble; He won’t.

So, when we are described as children of God, it means we have a loving Father who will always wait in giddy anticipation for us to say, “Daddy, can I tell you something?” He’s an approachable God who will listen to every single word. I fully believe when we stop to pray, and we start with God, can I tell you something? all of heaven pauses because one of God’s precious children has reached up to openly reveal himself or herself to Him. And, in God’s mind, that act of love and trust deserves to be honored by the whole Kingdom. 

This may sound hard, ridiculous, or even awkward if you have trouble relating to God as Father. Perhaps your earthly father was not a safe person with whom you could share anything. I get it. I have had trouble relating to Jesus as friend. My long-ago hurts made it difficult to reconcile the fact that a friendship was anything worth having with my Savior. It felt insulting to call Jesus Friend. So, if it feels disrespectful to think of God as Father, and to think of yourself as a child of the Almighty, I’m here to say that is not how God wants it to be. Just as He’s taught me through my growing friendship with Him, He designed us – created us – for these kinds of relationships with Him. We are His sons and daughters. We are His heirs. And, it’s a perfect and holy father-child relationship.

Don’t delay. Go to Him now. Find a solitary place, and just whisper the words Father, can I tell you something? Make it a secret you’re sharing only with Him. As you do, listen to the raw honesty, the open trust, and the love that flows through your words. Heaven will stop for a moment of silence, His heart will skip a beat, and…

He’ll say yes. 


Prayer: Father God, can I tell you something? Can I tell you that I am....? Can I share that I feel…? Can I tell you about my day? Did you see when…? How do I handle...? Daddy, I just want to say… Thank You for racing across the skies to be with me. I love you. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen. 



Influenced by my prayer life, 1 John 3:1-2, Romans 8:16, Luke 18:16-17, TLB, and looking through the lens of my mommy hat.



©2016 As a Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

My book, "Clay Jar Cracked," is available on Lulu.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retail sites, and including print, e-pub, nook, and kindle versions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment