Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Loving Grace
By Cortney Donelson

Source: www.ninatidwell.com












1 Corinthians 13:2 (The Message)
“If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, ‘Jump,’ and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.”

I would classify most of my devotionals as hybrids. I attempt to blend encouragement with challenges interpreted straight from His truths. However, this devotion is simply a dare for yours truly. Will I choose to follow one of God’s greatest commandments? On the surface, it seems like it would be easy to answer “yes!” 

Not so fast…

I have a friend. Let’s call her Grace. We all have a friend like this. Grace has been wounded – just as we all have been. Grace is dysfunctional – just as we all are in some way. She has no self-confidence and is selfish. Don’t worry, she admits this. What she may not realize is that she seems manipulative, difficult, and lost. She puts people down and plays favorites. She unknowingly struggles with boundaries. She has no spiritual direction … no True North to guide her. Our relationship is a challenging one. We have no common ground. If it were up to me, there would be no relationship at all. But, God hasn’t released me from this friend. He has purpose here. See, God loves Grace.

I don’t want to admit this, but perhaps I need this relationship. I must love Grace too.

When we are together, I find it impossible to even like Grace. Yet, I am called to love her. As a believer, I do my best to follow God’s will – His ways. Loving others is at the top of His list. Others include people like Grace. In fact, Scripture alludes to the fact that it’s easy to love the likable. Loving the difficult, the hurtful, and those who must be repeatedly forgiven marks a true follower of Christ.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7 talks about the power of love.

The Way of Love

“If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.
 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, ‘Jump,’ and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.” – The Message

I lead Bible studies, read Christian-themed books, have quiet times, pray constantly, speak to groups of people for His Kingdom, and write devotionals. My faith registers a 10 out of 10 on most days. I can hear God’s whispers. I understand His teachings and His commands. I give enthusiastically to His causes. I love Him first and foremost. I worship Him. I have forgiven many “unforgivables.” I worry very little and trust a whole lot – even through the painful and difficult times.

And, it all means nothing.

Why? I fail miserably at loving Grace. I try desperately to love this person I cannot like and do not respect. I have a long way to go.

Here’s an attempt at some encouragement for myself:

Every time I neglect to love Grace, God’s grace is there for me. I can lift my offense up to Him, and He forgives it and wipes my slate clean. Then, I am able to try again – if I choose. After all, it is a choice – this commandment to love others.

Ironic, isn’t it? God provides unending love and mercy for me every time I miss His mark at showing unending love and mercy for Grace. I guess that is how Grace and I are connected. It is why I cannot let this relationship slip away and why He asks me to keep trying. God is using my struggles within this relationship to sharpen me into a more Christ-like image of Him. Most days, I honestly don’t like it. The easy and wide road is tempting, but God is calling me through the narrow door.

The next time Grace and I meet, I will remember that Grace is a child of God who makes mistakes (just like me), I will remember that God has forgiven me (as I must forgive her), and I will remember the unconditional love that He has modeled for me through Christ (so I can someday soon show it to her). 

One more thing. Grace can be a person or a group of people. And, I have no doubt I am somebody's Grace too...


Prayer – God, in my transgressions, I find Your forgiveness. For that, I will be eternally grateful. When others step on my toes, pull on my wounds, and facilitate my fears, my prayer is that I can focus on You. I desperately want to model Your love in everything I do and with everyone I meet. Please give me strength to do so. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment