Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Ultimate Trust Test
By Cortney Donelson

Psalm 31:14 (NKJV)

But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’”


Our kids…

That’s where many of us would fall short. I am not talking about failed parenting or unrealized dreams. I am also not alluding to any of our frustrated outbursts or our mini moments of neglect. I am talking about trusting God when it comes to our kids – even with their very lives. It’s where I might not pass the test.

Abraham passed with flying colors. He was willing to sacrifice Isaac, his son. God stopped Abraham the moment He witnessed his total surrender to Him. Abraham passed (what is in my eyes) the ultimate trust test.

Could I be so faithful? Could you?

My children entered our family through adoption. I see them as children of God – from God. He matched us with these two energetic and curious gifts, and we consider ourselves blessed to have the opportunity to raise them. Make no mistake – when I look at my earthly children, I see His Kingdom’s kids.
Source: znconline.wordpress.com

So, why is it so hard to trust God with them 100% of the time? Why do I worry about their health, their futures, and their safety? Why do I doubt God’s plan is good when my own plans for our children are not turning out the way I imagined? Stubborn fear still occasionally rips at my ability to fully trust.

Author Ann Voskamp talks about a concept called “practical atheism.” She explains that we are not functional atheists. We are true believers in Christ. Yet, when we choose worry or fear over trust in God, our actions speak louder than our words. We become practical atheists – those who opt to believe God is not always good – or that God is not always love. Our worries and fears are indicators of our lack of trust in a God whose overarching plan is always perfect.

In the past few months, my prayer list has been heavily tilted towards prayers for children. There is the 1-year-old beauty with heart concerns in Texas. There is a boy down the street who could use a reversal of destiny[i] in his life. I have a friend whose son is battling wounds and hurts that any preteen would have difficulty handling well. A close friend’s child was sick for quite some time, leaving his family and doctors concerned about hearing loss. Parents all around me are worrying – for good earthly reasons. I worry about my kids too – the possibilities for emotional, physical, and spiritual pain are limitless. We want to protect them as best we know how. However, there’s a better way to accomplish this…

Source: Unknown
God wants us to know that He is not worried. He has a plan. He is in control at all times. No circumstance, diagnosis, or disaster passes through His hands without His love flowing through along with it. This happens with every aspect of our lives, but it can be difficult to remember when it comes to our kids’ lives. There are other things that flow through His hands alongside His love – hope, peace, restoration, and even joy pour out with every event, illness, or crisis. Trusting in God – passing the ultimate trust test when it comes to releasing our children into His hands – is the only weapon we need in fighting the battle against fear and worry. God loves our children more than we do. Let me say that again…

God loves our children more than we do.

It’s hard to believe sometimes. But, it’s worth believing every time.

It may be easy to become a practical atheist in a world with so much pain, disease, and dysfunction. Instead, I pray that we follow David’s example in Psalm 31:14, But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’” Except, I don’t want to just say it … I want to shout it! “You are my God!” In spite of it all, God is trustworthy and good. And, I will remind myself that this world is not our home.

I cannot think of a single time – joyful and celebratory or horrifically painful – when God was not faithful in making all things work for good. I sure can’t say that about everything I’ve had my hands in…


Prayer – Lord, thank You for Your faithfulness and trustworthiness. I live each day knowing You are by my side and in control, even when my own decisions fail me. I will lift up my children to You and completely surrender them to Your perfect plan. For, I know Your love for them is more than enough. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.



[i] Source: “Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman” Bible Study by Beth Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment