Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Promise Fulfilled: Haiti Day 1
By Cortney Donelson

From June 7th - 15th, I had the amazing privilege of serving the people of Haiti during a short term mission trip through Lifetree Adventures. Our "Lifetree" group partnered with another phenomenal organization - Heartline Ministries in Haiti (http://heartlineministries.org/). For the next seven to eight weeks, each weekly devotion on this blog will highlight each day in Haiti where God helped me pour out Jesus' love. My hope is that you will be inspired to take your own faith journeys global. For our mission as believers is to take His message "to all the nations..."


2 Corinthians 12:10 (NIV)
“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

“I will give you rest.”

It was the quiet yet confident voice I have learned to recognize and grown to love. I was sitting on the first of two airplanes at 2:00 am on my way to Haiti for a short-term mission trip with a friend. It had been a whirlwind travel adventure, and we had barely left our home city – delayed flights, a cancelled flight, and even a mysterious “missing flight” had plagued our night. I knew we would be arriving in Haiti before 8:30 am, and I also knew that still required another plane change in several hours.

“God, I have never been able to sleep well on planes. How am I going to…?”

“I will give you rest.”

Before I had finished the sentence of my prayer, God spoke. I smiled and closed my eyes. Sleep didn't come, but peace did. We made our connecting flight and arrived – ready to roll – in Haiti.

The mission team leaders picked us up at the airport and brought us to the guesthouse where we would stay for the week. They asked if we wanted to lie down, and at first it seemed like a great plan given our lack of sleep … but, it wasn't God’s plan.

Suddenly, we felt a strong desire to skip the nap. We didn’t want to miss anything that may bring us closer to God’s glorious presence, so we headed back downstairs. It was then we discovered that the other 31 members of our team were going to be delayed until the following morning. It was just the two of us for the whole day.

Lake Azuei
Source: Unknown
So, as God knew (and I like to think had planned), the leaders took us on an amazing journey through Haiti that we otherwise would not have experienced. We were at the 40-hour mark without sleep, but God fulfilled His promise – I never felt tired. My body never experienced the sluggishness that comes with a lack of sleep. I thought God would provide rest through a nap opportunity. Instead, God provided rest through allowing us to experience this special adventure that took us to a desolate mountain village called Shambone where a 6-year-old petite beauty named Medlynn stole our hearts, and a pastor named Maxo gave us his radically inspiring testimony. He took us to a brilliantly scenic view of Lake Azuei, and He took us to an inspiring orphanage where 24 children who were orphaned by the Haiti earthquake in 2010 gave us a tear-jerking impromptu concert, complete with an 8-year-old drumming prodigy.

Source: Photo taken at Haitian orphanage 
God’s promises never fail. My respite came through living out Jesus’ love. My rest was provided as I sang quietly in MedLynn's ear as she sat, light as a feather, in my lap. My energy was renewed as I gave out candy to precious children with dirty clothes and worn out shoes. I experienced a spiritual awakening that overpowered my fatigued body, allowing it to rest, while God’s spirit fueled my soul for the days to come. As I operated within Christ’s strength and through His heart, my flesh’s weakness fell by the wayside.

I had just lived out 2 Corinthians 12:10. “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

What promise has God made for you today? What strength found in His spirit will cause a weakness in your flesh to dim and become insignificant? Is it the promise of hope when circumstances seem bleak? Is it the promise of peace as the chaos of life seems to destroy your calm? Or, perhaps it’s the promise of grace when you feel you have made an unforgivable mistake? For me, on this particular day, God promised rest, and He delivered in ways I could not have expected nor accomplished on my own.

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31(NIV)


Prayer – Thank You, Father God, for always keeping Your promises. You went before me to Haiti, and You were there with me every step of the way. And, I know You will remain in Haiti loving those who live and serve there. Thank You for giving me spiritual rest that transcended my flesh’s fatigue. I pray for the people of Haiti and for those who serve them in Your name. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment