Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When Enemy Interference Distracts Us
By Cortney Donelson

Source: www.smithical.com














1 Thessalonians 2:17-19 (ESV)
But since we were torn away from you … for a short time, in person not in heart, we endeavored the more eagerly and with great desire to see you face to face, because we wanted to come to you – I, Paul, again and again – but Satan hindered us. For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?”

I love to run.

I don’t run far or very fast, and I don’t run daily. I just love to run.

When I do strap on my bright blue shoes and hit the pavement, I usually spend that time with God. Most times, I listen to music and sing for Him. Sometimes, I run in prayer. It’s a quiet time out in the fresh air for God and me to enjoy together.

Recently, I went for a run simply because I had the time – the kids were in school, and it was a gorgeous spring day. As I ran, I worshipped Him – my iPod loud to drown out my footsteps and heavy breathing. However, I was frustrated with what I was hearing. There was static. It was just enough to interfere with the songs and to cause me to lose my focus on the worship. I could sing the songs from memory, but the connection with God while I sang was interrupted because I was unable to hear many of the words clearly. The static had become a distraction.

That had been the story for the previous couple of weeks with my quiet times and my ability to write from the heart – His heart. There was static. It was drowning out my ability to hear God clearly. It seemed there was a loose connection somewhere in our “communication channel,” and I began to lose my focus. But first, allow me to back up a bit…

According to multiple sources, my spiritual gifts are faith and discernment (the ability to discriminate between what comes from God, what is from flesh/man, and what is from the enemy/Satan). Spiritual discernment helped me recognize that my inability to focus was not a result of my own flesh blocking my communication with my brilliant Lead Writer. The static during my quiet writing periods was not because I had fallen away, was praying less, had become less passionate, or moved away from Jesus. The Lord and I were still close. I still felt secure in His presence. Rather, this seemed to me to be the enemy’s interference causing static, occurring precisely because I was so in tune with God at the time.

Paul had interference-type challenges from Satan too. Paul had become very close to the Thessalonians. According to Scripture, he couldn’t wait to see them again. Satan despised that bond. It was a godly relationship – Paul and the Thessalonians – built from the foundation of Jesus’ love and teachings. But since we were torn away from you … for a short time, in person not in heart, we endeavored the more eagerly and with great desire to see you face to face, because we wanted to come to you – I, Paul, again and again – but Satan hindered us…

In a similar way, I love writing these devotionals. I get very excited on Tuesday mornings when they are emailed out to those who have chosen to receive them automatically. All credit goes to God when what is written impacts someone else. As Beth Moore once said, “It’s like sharing a high-five with God.” I am so honored and thrilled to be a part of what He is doing within these posts. I love to boast about God through your comments and feedback. “…For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?” And, the enemy hates that. He hates the relationship I have built up with the Lord through writing. He hates when I pray throughout my writing. He detests that we – you and I – are connecting and learning with each other in this way. I bet (I hope) it’s like nails on a chalkboard to Satan’s ears.

I believe Satan throws obstacles into our lives to hinder our relationships and distract us as believers. In Paul’s case, he created physical barriers to prevent him from reaching the Thessalonians. In my case, he created static interference with my worship music to divert my focus during my quiet time while running – just like he used the static to interfere with my writing several weeks back.

As far as I am concerned, he can use whatever weapon he wants. God is stronger, and God is faithful.

Through the static, I have rediscovered something pretty spectacular. God speaks to us in many ways. As I was feeling frustrated by the static interference during my quiet writing sessions, God began unleashing His wisdom and message through different channels – radio, nature, people, and books. I heard Him through each avenue, and it was truly amazing!

When we face spiritual static, we can be confident that God’s Word and promises will remain unchanged, our relationship with Him will be safe and secure, and we can run right back on track with His messages. What kind of spiritual static are you facing? Let’s pray through it together…


Prayer – God, thank You for speaking to us in multiple places and through many means. When we face obstacles, we pray for wisdom and discernment to know where these challenges originate so that we can be on guard. The enemy has no power over You – or us if we follow You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment