Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Standing on the Edge of Blessing": Haiti Day 7
By Cortney Donelson

Deuteronomy 28:1-3 (NIV)

Blessings for Obedience
“If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God: You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.”


Source: Unknown











One of the pastors at my church, Robby Smernoff, recently said a phrase during his talk that grabbed my attention. He used the words “standing on the edge of blessing” as he was describing our faith journeys and how God hopes we all cross over from talking about to actually living out our full trust in Him in order to receive all the blessings He so desperately wants to give us.

I felt like that was exactly where I was standing – on the edge of blessing. Before leaving for Haiti, I was optimistic that I would finally receive definitive answers to a couple very specific prayers. I knew during those eight days spent in Haiti doing God’s work that I would have the opportunity to grow closer to Him. Close enough, I was hoping, that maybe He would point me in certain directions where I was feeling a bit stagnant. For months, I had been getting tired of the balancing act. You may know what I mean – the balance between waiting patiently on the Lord versus taking specific action to move forward. The fear is in trying too hard, thus forcing out His perfect timing and messing with His perfect plan. Have you ever been there – just waiting for God to give His all-out, “Go?”

In Haiti, I was not disappointed. One prayer was answered on Day 1. Praise Jesus!

I would have to wait for the second answer. Finally on Day 7, during our daily morning devotion time with the Director of Heartline Ministries, John McHoul, God answered my second prayer in His awesome fashion. John’s words for that morning were about persevering through weariness. Faith – and its reward – requires patience and determination.

Funny, that was one of the points the pastor at my church made too – faith takes patience. As I sat there in Haiti that morning, I suddenly realized where I was lacking that patience. I knew where I was not fully living in obedience to God … mostly because I was brutally aware that what He was asking was going to take me time – a lot of time. Rather, I wanted something that I could quickly cross off a to-do list. 

God was telling me not to let the weariness of completing the task or the impatience I was feeling to overcome my ability to be obedient to His call.

Deuteronomy promises, “If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God: You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.”

I am standing on the edge of blessing. God is ready and willing to give me the abundance of His blessings, picked out specifically for me. The problem is me. I am the one still standing there on the edge. He has called me over the line. He has given me the command. However, I have been ignoring it because I know the work that will be required – the time it will take. And, I just don’t want to wait that long or put in that kind of effort. It will be hard! What if I fail? So, I have been waiting for different instructions – a different course of action. Therein lies my disobedience and my lack of faith. I am thankful for God’s reminders in Haiti and at that church service. I must persevere through my current impatience and future weariness … faith requires patience.

God never asks us to be successful; He asks us to be obedient. And, when we are obedient, we will no longer be just standing on the edge of His blessing. We will be standing in the middle of His glory as His blessings rain down upon us.

I cannot – yet can – wait…


Prayer – Lord, thank You for every blessing You have bestowed on me. I pray for perseverance and patience. Grow my faith during this time. I will work at being obedient always. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment