Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Thank You
By Cortney Donelson

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”















“God, thank You for creative minds that make creative things…”

This part of my son’s nightly prayer brings a smile to my face. More importantly, I know God smiles too. My son is thanking God not for his own unrealized gift, but for others’ gifts – for his favorite authors and the books they write, for the makers of the LEGO® blocks he plays with, for the special-effects gurus he appreciates in the movies he loves, and for the artists who design the masterpieces he admires. I am convinced my son’s thankful and humble heart is the foundational reason he is one of the most imaginative people I know. Some people watch him and see a boy who could dance across Dr. Seuss’s giant footsteps with his own version of crazy creative.

Ann Voskamp, author of the book “One Thousand Gifts,” attests that “thanksgiving precedes the miracle.” She bases this on Paul’s writings in Philippians:Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Ann makes numerous biblical references in her book – to Jesus thanking God before the five loaves of bread feeds thousands, to Jesus thanking God that He had heard Him before raising Lazarus from death’s grip, and to Jesus thanking God during the Last Supper, just before the miracle of His resurrection. Jesus taught us throughout the Scriptures to give thanks before the miracle.

Am I thankful enough … thankful enough for these kinds of miracles? I think this is a valid question. Those other “good enough” questions – they uncover lies, insecurities, unfaithfulness, pain, or pride. Am I pretty enough? Am I successful enough? Am I smart enough?Am I doing enough? When I ask these questions, the focus is on me, my weaknesses, my selfish goals, and my past hurts.

However, I think the question - Am I thankful enough? - uncovers a heart running after God’s peace and His miraculous blessings. A heart focused on God’s promises, our identity in Him. A heart that understands the true meaning of grace.

Grace is undeserved favor or kindness – a generosity of spirit, if you will. Grace is the one aspect of Christianity that separates it from all other religions.  Grace came to earth as a baby lying in a dirty manger surrounded by stable animals. Grace was betrayed and beaten. Then, Grace hung on the cross for me, solidifying my place in eternity. Am I thankful enough for it all?

I listen to my son thank God every night for what seems to me to be the smallest of things. But it’s not just the authentic thanksgiving of an 8-year-old that amazes me. It’s the order of his prayers.  “Thank You for creating me. Thank You for looking after my mom when she was in Haiti. Please keep looking out for everyone still in Haiti. Thank you for a great day today. Please help me have a good day tomorrow. Thank you for taking care of Simamkele and Milani (the two boys we have sponsored through World Vision). Please continue to take care of them.”

Do you see the pattern? Without knowing what he is doing, my little boy first thanks God and then asks for His blessings. I am never surprised when my son’s prayers are answered with a resounding yes! I have learned so much through my child’s authentic and grateful prayer life. Crazy creative as he is, he is also tackling his prayer life with the faith of a child and the gratitude of one thousand saints. I need to do the same.

What miracle could be waiting for me? For you? When an unexpected diagnosis shatters our world, thanksgiving precedes the miracle. When children argue, disobey, stray from God, or seem distant thanksgiving precedes the miracle. When jobs are lost and financial insecurity threatens … thanksgiving precedes the miracle. When marriages begin to implode and we feel we live with roommates instead of doing life together as spouses … thanksgiving precedes the miracle.

Am I thankful enough to see all of God’s miracles? I pray so


Prayer – Lord, thank You for Your grace and forgiveness. Help me to forgive others like that. Lord, thank You for my children. Help me raise them to run after You always. Lord, thank You for Your words and promptings to write for Your glory. Help me reach more in Your name. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.
*Photo Source: unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment