Tuesday, September 10, 2013

King of Kings
By Cortney Donelson

Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because He is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with Him will be His called, chosen and faithful followers.”

king [king]  noun
·         a male sovereign or monarch; a man who holds life tenure, and usually 
     by hereditary right, the chief authority over a country or people
·         (capitalized) God or Christ
Source: www.benmanley.org















I have been missing the power in one of Christ’s names. King of kings was easy to skim over. In my mind’s eye, I simply saw opulent men from the distant past ones with crowns and robes. I pictured strict or wealthy rulers with little relevance to life now my apologies to our friends across the pond. I assumed Jesus’ title of "King” was merely a historical term used in keeping with the time when God’s inspired pages of the Bible were scripted. After all, kingdoms were the governing, social, and economical entities of long ago; today they seemed to me to be merely figureheads rich in tradition and influence, but certainly not in power.

I was so wrong!

A few months ago, one of my devotions paused on Jesus’ name of “Wonderful Counselor.” Then, a few weeks back, God pressed the title “King of Kings” into my heart. He wanted me to realize I was missing a significant part of my relationship with Jesus. So I did some much needed research on our King of kings. Revelation 17:14 says:“They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because He is Lord of lords and King of kingsand with Him will be His called, chosen and faithful followers.”

The title of king differs from that of leader, president, prime minister, or any other title for a ruler because a king has a hereditary right to be in charge – a birthright. When Jesus made His innocuous appearance as a newborn in a filthy stable, He rightfully became King of His people. When Mary stared into the precious face of her baby, she was also admiring our future chief authority, because God sent His son to be born both fully man and fully God to rule over all. Other worldly leaders are voted into power or, in some instances, they take over according to their own will. Jesus’ holy position and radical truth were not up for votes. They were His at birth, and they will be His through eternity.

Other leaders, such as prime ministers and presidents, do not have true followers. They have fans and supporters. A true follower gives up his own goals and ambitions for the values and vision of the king. People align themselves with other types of leaders based on their current beliefs and values. In contrast, followers of Christ choose to die to themselves and align with His radical vision, giving up their own.

Back when kingdoms dotted the Earth’s landscape, followers would die for their kings. However, Jesus’ sash will not say “king.” It will say “King of kings,” according to the Book of Revelation.  People have died and will continue to die in His name and for His cause, and – more amazingly - He died for us. That kind of lavish love for His people makes Him the King of all kings.

Finally, prime ministers and presidents are not worshiped - at least not in the spiritual sense. When we worship, it is more than showing honor and respect. Worship is submissive, extravagant admiration and deep adoration or acts of reverence. Martin Luther described worship this way, To gather with God's people in united adoration of the Father … ” Luther added, “(Worship) is as necessary to the Christian life as prayer.”

As I pray and give praise to Jesus, God wants me to genuinely understand whom it is I am worshiping.  I am adoring the King of kings. Never again should I avoid showing my extravagant admiration or, even worse, hold back out of anxiety over what people may think of me. I want to be on my knees. Better yet – I want to be prone with my face on the ground in a deep and impassioned act of reverence.

People who do not worship are swept into a vast restlessness, epidemic in the world, with no steady direction and no sustaining purpose. - Edmund Clowney*

Jesus has many names. When Jesus returns on His white horse with those names scripted across His sash, I want to be sure I understand to whom it is I have given my life. I do not want to miss any aspect of this amazing king – our King of kings.


Prayer – Father God, thank You for Your son and all the different ways we can love Him. You knew we would need the Wonderful Counselor at times. You knew we would need the King of kings during other times. You provided us with the Lord of all lords, the Friend, the Lamb, the Redeemer, and the Savior. I pray we don’t miss any part of what makes Jesus worthy of all our worship and praise. In Jesus’ many names, I pray. Amen.

 * The late Edmund Clowney was a theologian, educator, and pastor who became a prolific writer, authoring several books, bible studies, and articles until his death in 2005. 




© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment