Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Leader for God
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown



















“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.”


“Be a leader for what is right, not a follower of this world.”

Over the last couple of years, I have flooded my son with this advice. When my daughter grows a little older, I will share it with her as well. It may be the most important parenting instruction I ever give. It will certainly be one of the hardest to follow. Only now, as I approach 40, have I consistently headed my own advice.

In His almighty Providence, God gave us one capability that has both set us free and handcuffed us to ourselves – the ability to choose. We make hundreds of decisions every day. Some are small, like how many times we will hit the snooze button. Others are quite significant, such as what we will do with our free time or even whether or not we schedule ourselves any free time. 

Every day, we choose … and then we live our lives along the paths of those choices. A simple yes could be the beginning of a lifelong commitment to another human being, and a seemingly polite no could mean the stranger on the sidewalk with the sunken eyes will miss yet another meal. Adam and Eve chose to eat an apple one day. With every decision, there is a consequence – a path forged. 

So, how can we be successful with these choices? I have learned that it depends on how you define “success” because once you define it, your choices will revolve around it.

One day last year, I picked my 2nd-grader up from school. When I asked him how his day was, he replied, “I got in trouble again.” I asked him what happened. 

“My PE (Physical Education) teacher yelled at me, and I had to run laps because I was late. But Mom, if I had to do it all over again, I would be late again!” I thought this story was starting to sound interesting, so I urged him to continue as it seemed he believed that was the end to his explanation!

It went something like this: “We were in line walking outside, and my friend at the back of the line had to stop to tie her shoes. I didn’t want her to be left behind all alone, so I stayed with her until she finished. Then we walked to PE together. But we were late, so we both had to run laps.” I asked how late they were, and his reply sounded something like this:

“Well, she had trouble tying her shoes. Maybe she just learned how or something … so we were a couple minutes late, but we weren’t THAT late!”

I smiled. This world, especially certain parts of it, has a lot of “do’s” and “don’ts.” Schools and workplaces will always have expectations, rules and regulations, and people who make unfair assumptions. Marketers and advertisers will continue to sell through lofty comparisons, cut-throat competition, and the promise of securing powerful connections. From the day we are born, we’re pushed into a box called “this world.” Color inside the lines. Sit still. Be quiet. Get good grades. Secure that scholarship. Go to college. Find a great job. Buy that fancy car. Build your dream home.  Retire early. It seems our society values status and success over character. Decisions of this world are typically made with these goals in mind. 

Thankfully, I have learned a better decision-making philosophy that I now teach to my children. Be a leader for what is right, not a follower of this world.  What is right is what Jesus has taught us to do. This rightness encompasses morality, kindness, patience, gratitude, service, and love. My son has been listening to my advice. My prayers are working. He chose to help a friend over following a simple school rule, and he paid the price - one worth paying in my opinion. 

Dr. Laura Markham, in an article about parenting strong-willed children, said it this way: "Morality is doing what's right, no matter what you're told. Obedience is doing what you're told, no matter what's right." Or, as I would say in context to my parenting advice, "Being a leader for what is right is doing what's right, no matter what the world thinks. Following the world is doing what everyone else is doing, no matter what's right."

By no means am I saying that rules are bad or that we should not live by specific laws and certain expectations. I am also not saying power and success are wrong. However, every day we have to make choices. Sometimes, those choices will be difficult ones. They will highlight the conflict between what the world expects and what Jesus wants. In fact, that probably happens more often than not. Jesus taught us to value people over possessions, relationships over regulations and others over ourselves. My son chose correctly. The world might disagree. 

It takes courage to choose God. “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.” The world told my son he broke a rule and the reason did not matter. The world punished him. However, I know in my heart that he chose what was right. Standing beside this seven year old girl so she would not be left alone outside was more important to my son, to me, and to Jesus than being on time for PE class. 

This is a simple example from the life of a child. What about us? Imagine the impact we could have if we became leaders for God rather than followers of this world. 

What decision will you make for God today? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other." - Mark Twain


Prayer – God, thank You for giving us Your loving heart and eyes to see what You see. I pray we don’t close our eyes to the needs of others because the world might disagree. Protect us as we chose You in a world that has largely ignored You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

© 2014 As a Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment