Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Mighty Position
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown



















Matthew 5:14 (NIV)
 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.”


There he was – my second chance. 

My initial opportunity was offered to me about eight months ago. I was driving along an off-ramp near my house. At the light stood a young man about 25 years old. He held the typical ripped cardboard box sign that read “Homeless. Please help.” Yet, this man standing on the road was no mainstream beggar. He seemed well dressed in a J Crew sort of way, was clean-shaven, and he held a high-end take-out coffee mug in his other hand. There was a bike propped against an electrical box. I travel this off-ramp multiple times every day. I had never seen this man before. He was not one of the regulars. Immediately, the Holy Spirit whispered, “Help him.” 

There was a problem. It was early morning. I was coming back from taking my son to school, and let’s just say I had not even had time to shed my pjs. I wore a baseball hat and slippers (seriously). I had no money with me.  I was lucky to even have my driver’s license. I had nothing to offer. This man didn’t look like he should be holding a cardboard sign.  In fact, in a side-by-side comparison, strangers probably would have picked me as the one in need of help that morning.

As I pulled up next to him at the red light, despite my un-Christian-like judgment of him, I felt a strong urge to do something. My flesh screamed the world’s excuses: “He’ll just use it for drugs … He looks fine! … You are a female alone in the car; it’s not safe … you’re not even dressed!” I felt awkward and didn’t want to look at him. 

Sitting there waiting for the red light to change, my heart’s voice reminded me that I had eyes to see, a tongue to speak, lips to smile, Jesus’ love to show, or even an ATM card to use. I had a lot to offer. 

Instead, I drove away and immediately broke down and began sobbing. I knew the instant the light turned green and my car started forward that I had just said no to Jesus. I cannot explain how I knew this except to use Matthew 25:40, “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” as reference. 

Suddenly, that man was not a homeless man on the street corner. He was the Lord, standing there offering me a chance to be a light on a hill. I felt like I had failed Him with a capital “F.” 

I never saw the man again. However, the lesson was not forgotten. 

Eight months later, here I was driving up that same off-ramp. Again, I was alone. As I approached a line of cars at the red light, I noticed a young man standing in the same spot as the Lord stood months ago. He was clad in dirty cargo pants and a heavy coat. It was cold outside, and he wore a knit hat but no gloves. He held a sign that read Homeless. May God bless you. 

I wasn’t going to fail again. I reached for my wallet. I rolled down my window and looked this man right in the eyes. I will never forget those eyes. They were crystal-blue orbs surrounded by black dirt and grime. He was probably in his mid-20s, but he looked much older. In those eyes, I saw sadness and pain. I also saw compassion and gratitude. I refused to look away. As I handed him some money, I was preparing words that might offer him some encouragement. Instead, he looked me in the eyes and said, “Thank you. God bless you.” 

God bless me? No! I am the one in the warm car. I am the one with money to give. I am the one driving to a suburban house where I deal with “rich-people” problems that pale in comparison to yours. I am the one that missed the first opportunity and failed the Lord miserably. I am the one that is supposed to say God bless YOU! 

I was humbled to the point of tears. This man with the dirty clothes and sky-blue eyes was blessing me. This man, despite the darkest and bleakest of circumstances, was God’s light on a hill for me. As I drove home and cried for the blessing he had offered me and for his obviously dark situation, a realization hit me.

In Matthew 5:14, Jesus tells us we “...are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” Even in our hardest places, we can be that light on the hill. No matter what life has hurled into our laps, God can use us for His glory and place us in mighty positions to impact others. This homeless man on the street gifted me with God’s blessing. A man dying on a cross saved us all. We can be a blessing to others regardless of what our physical or emotional conditions tell us. 

Driving home, I asked myself: When life turns upside down, are we dropped into a pit where no one can see us and all God’s restorative power is hidden? Or, like this young man standing inches from an interstate off-ramp where hundreds drive by him, are we placed up on hills where God’s strength and mercy can shine down through our darkness and shower others with blessings – even those who believe they are the ones who are supposed to offer the love of Jesus? 

What mighty position (aka dark hill) are you in right now, and how might you be the light of the world to someone else?


Prayer - Heavenly Father, thank You for those who bless others. We pray we can be like those individuals and can show the world Your love, despite our circumstances or how we may be feeling. Help us rise up and shine like cities on a hill. Please lift us out of our pits and place us up as lights in the darkness for others to witness Your restorative power. In Jesus' name, Amen.

© 2014 As a Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment