Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Many Sides of Love - Part I
By Cortney Donelson

Source: www.turnbacktogod.com














1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NIV)
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”


Love is complicated. It does not always make sense. It is not for the weak in spirit, it is not easy to come by, but it is absolutely worth it. Jesus is perfect love. In honor of His death on the cross and His resurrection on Easter Sunday, the next two weeks’ devotions will be about perfect love – a love from God we must not only accept and embrace, but strive to illuminate for others, to the glory of God. Amen.

Scripture talks in depth about love. One of the most well known Bible verses about love is 1 Corinthians 13:4-5, the one that defines this powerful condition of the heart - each and every glorious side of it.

Love is patient. As my five-year takes her time putting on her shoes this morning, and I am rushing around making sure every lunch is packed, every breakfast item is put away, and the dog has been fed, the side of love named patience watches me. It senses my growing frustration, and it tries to speak to the hurried parts of my soul. Slow down. Love reminds me that this little girl, whom God blessed me with, is doing her best. She is growing in self-confidence with every act of independent dressing. This one matters too. I choose to listen to the patient side of love, and I suddenly see the situation very differently. I see my daughter’s proud smile when she realizes she has put her shoes on the correct feet. I would have missed that smile if I had chosen to ignore this side of love.

Love is kind. It is apparent that the woman at the return desk is having an awful day. I overhear the sarcasm and rudeness as she speaks to the customer ahead of me. It’s now my turn. There is no greeting, certainly no smile from her. The side of love named kindness watches me. It senses my growing attitude of contempt toward this woman, and love tries to speak to the ugly parts of my soul. Be graceful. Love reminds me that this woman is a child of God who is struggling for a reason unknown to me. It is not an attack against me. It is not about me at all. I choose to listen to the kind side of love, and I suddenly see the situation very differently. I see a lady who needs someone else to show her kindness first. I smile and give her a compliment. She pauses. Then, she smiles back … and apologizes. I would have missed that opportunity to offer her a second chance if I had chosen to ignore this side of love.

Love does not envy. I clutch the phone as I sit on the floor. Tears soak my cheeks. A friend who never shared with me her desire to start a family is pregnant. I am not – pregnant that is. My husband and I have been diagnosed with infertility after years filled with tests and doctor visits. Our pain is fresh. She is excited about the tiny life inside her and perhaps unaware of the ache her news is causing me. Envy is erupting in my heart. The side of love named contentedness watches me. I have plans for you too. Love reminds me that my friend’s pregnancy does not point to any failure on my part. God has separate plans for each us. Good plans. Perfect plans. I finally “hear” my friend and realize she deserves happiness, just as much as I do. I take a deep breath … and I choose to congratulate her from the bottom of my heart. I would have missed feeling true happiness for her if I had chosen to ignore this side of love.

Love does not boast. I sit and think of all the times I have experienced success … and boasted about it. There are too many examples to count. I have boasted about myself. I have boasted about my children. I have boasted about position, intellect, experience ... As I sit and pray about which example to write about, the side of love named humility watches me. Do not boast. Love convicts me. By writing about any success I have boasted about in the past, I am claiming that accomplishment again – for myself. Instead, we are instructed to boast in the Lord. We are to claim His righteousness, not our own. Jeremiah 9:24 says, “but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,’ declares the Lord.” I am lovingly convicted. I am just so grateful to know God at all, to call Jesus my Savior. He has blessed me with much. Nothing I have done that would be considered "good" has been accomplished apart from God. That is the truth. And, I would have missed the opportunity to boast about God’s mercy, authority, glory, and grace if I had chosen to ignore this side of love. 

Next week, I plan to sit with more of God’s love. My prayer is that God will speak to all of us regarding the remaining sides of love – the sides of meekness, honor, generosity, self-control, and forgiveness. 

This perfect love, Jesus’ kind of love, is quite amazing. I don't always get it right, modeling this love. I am a work in progress. What about you? Is there a side of love you struggle to show others? 


Prayer – God, Your love has no boundaries, no judgment, and no selfishness. It is a perfect love, evidenced by Jesus birth, death, and renewed life. Our prayer is that we don’t miss any of the many sides of Your love. And, furthermore, that we can be a model of Your love, in our own lives as we interact with others. We pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.










No comments:

Post a Comment