Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Many Sides of Love - Part II
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown
















1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NIV)
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”

I am a love-work in progress. I am better at loving today than I was last week. I will be better tomorrow than today. Jesus is perfect love. He is the model I run after as I chase down this gloriously mysterious condition of the heart. There is no greater love than that of Jesus’ love for us. 

It is not proud. The side of love named meekness is a side I seek on a daily basis. I must. For, I know I struggle with pride. Sometimes, I forget that meekness is a choice. Jesus humbled himself over and over in order to model for us this choice we have – to consider less of ourselves. In Philippians 2:5-8 it directs, “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!” The One who had every reason to be proud, lived out perfect humility.

The side of love called meekness hopes we choose to serve. 
To release our ego, 
To humble ourselves,
To relinquish our pride, position, and selfish priorities,
to wash one another’s feet, 
to bow to God, 
to surrender all.
This is what Jesus chose.

Love does not dishonor others. The side of love named honor compels me to obedience. Jesus shows me how complete obedience to - and honor of – the authority of God the Father will mark my life for eternity. A clear but perhaps forgotten message of the New Testament is that Jesus’s entire life and ministry were orchestrated by God. Hebrews 10:7 says, “Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come . . . to do thy will, O God.” Jesus was careful to carry out every detail according to the will of His Father.

The side of love named honor hopes I am as concerned about my allegiance and obedience to God as Jesus was. 
Honor God. If I do, then I will …
Honor my parents. 
Honor those who teach and lead. 
Honor my spouse.  
This is what Jesus chose.

Love is not self-seeking. The side of love named selflessness reminds me what Jesus did for me. Romans 5:8 explains Jesus’ selfless love plainly: “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” I am not sure there is a more powerful statement of selfless love. Jesus didn’t just die for me. He was betrayed. He was humiliated. He was beaten. He was physically and emotionally diminished in the eyes of His community. Then, He was crucified. For me, a sinner. And, for you. All for love. 

The side of love named selflessness hopes I never forget the cross. It hopes I look at every person I meet through the same lens as Jesus … and view him as a child of God worthy of His death on that cross. 
No matter who they are. 
No matter what they have done. 
No matter what they believe. 
No matter what they feel, think, or value. 
No matter what.
This is what Jesus chose.

Love is not easily angered. The side of love named self-control is sometimes one of the hardest to master. Yet in perfect love, there is no anger. Anger is born of fear or pain. In the Garden of Gethsemane, Peter acted out of fear-inspired anger when he cut off the ear of one of the men sent to arrest Jesus. Matthew 26:51-53 details Jesus’ response: “With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. ‘Put your sword back in its place,’ Jesus said to him, ‘for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.” Jesus had every worldly right to be angry. He was betrayed. He was about to die unjustly. But, love conquered fear that night. 

The side of love named self-control warns me: I can expect to become a victim of whatever means I use to get what I want. Love wants me to live by this fruit of its spirit called self-control so that others will do the same. 
Self-control is infectious.
It turns away wrath;
It quiets contention;
It provides understanding.
It bridges divides.
This is what Jesus chose.

Love keeps no record of wrongs. Have you ever had to forgive someone who didn’t think there was anything wrong to forgive? A love like Jesus’ knows no boundaries. His forgiveness is for all, even those who intentionally do wrong, unknowingly hurt others, or masterfully sin against God himself. In Luke 23:34, as some of His last words before His death, “Jesus said, ‘Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing…” Perfect love keeps no record of wrongs. Perfect love forgives. Even if it must do it “70 times seven times” (Matthew 18:22).

The side of love named forgiveness helps me. When I don’t feel the capacity to forgive, God is there, whispering truth - about the freedom forgiveness secures, not for others, but for me. Jesus’ love promises that forgiveness will set me free…
From lasting pain,
from the weight of resentment,
from the grip of hurt,
from the handcuffs of anger.
This is what Jesus chose.

This love – this perfect love – is available to us all. Are you willing to embrace it? Are you willing to live it out?

“His love is deep, His love is wide
And it covers us
His love is fierce, His love is strong
It is furious
His love is sweet, His love is wild
And it's waking hearts to life”
- “Furious” by Bethel Music


Prayer – Father God, thank You for sending Your Son to model perfect love. We cannot begin to appreciate how deep and how wide this love for us is. Our prayer is that as we learn more and experience Your love, we can live out greater love towards others – and perhaps wake hearts to life in You. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment