Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finding Holiness ... by Choosing Meekness
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown
Matthew 5:5 (NIV)
“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.”

“But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity.”

When you hear the word meek, what do you think? Does it conjure up images of a shy and quiet individual – perhaps one who is so submissive as to allow others to take advantage of him? Is meekness a sign of weakness?

I used to think so…

Then something happened. During a women’s retreat in the mountains of North Carolina at the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove, I learned a few things about what God thinks of the meek. Matthew 5:5 and Psalm 37:11 both promise the meek an inheritance of the whole earth. “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” Then it gets better! The meek will enjoy two more conditions we all long for: peace and prosperity. “But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity.” While journaling at that retreat, I wrote this prayer on March 14, 2009: Lord, make me meek so that I can be strong for You. Take away my selfish ambitions and make me ambitious for You. Since that time, God has answered my prayer in an interesting (and extremely effective) way. God did not make me meek. Instead, He showers me with opportunities to choose meekness. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikes4yPulmI) And for the most part, I do…

The primary definition of meek in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary is “showing patience and humility; enduring injury with patience and without resentment.” Wow! That is the poster-description of Christ Jesus. Even though Pontius Pilate had found no legal grounds for death, Jesus, in a total display of meekness, picked up His cross and started up the hill past His accusers. Then while hanging on the cross, Jesus asked God for mercy on those who were crucifying Him. There was no resentment. There was no anger. There was certainly no selfish ambition or pride. There was no retribution or revenge. There was only patience, love, and forgiveness – a total display of holiness.

Haven’t we all been in a place where we've had the opportunity to choose how to respond to injustice? A trusted friend betrays us beyond what we think we can handle. Someone rejects or abandons us in such a painful and profound way that we are unsure of what to do or how to react. An unfair accusation or label is forced upon us without proof, remorse, or concern. For me, there is nothing harder on this earth than choosing to patiently endure an injustice, swallow my pride, forsake my reputation, or forgive the unforgivable. But I have done it.

You can too.

One of my “wound” buttons is the fear of being misunderstood. My insides rip apart if I believe someone has judged me without hearing my side of the story – my motives, my thought-processes, my prayers, or the reasons behind my decisions. So when an unfair and one-sided accusation from my personal world was shared with my boss in my professional world, I felt the weight of pride and reputation heavy on my shoulders. This is unfair! Her side of the story is so different from mine. She painted me in such a bad light. That was so inappropriate to share with my boss. What will he think of me? I need to tell him my perspective and set things straight! Anger tore. Peace was nowhere to be found during the heated battle within my heart.

However, I did what I have now learned is the only thing to do when expectations go unmet and emotions threaten to bubble over into regretful words and actions. I immediately started to pray. God reminded me that this was yet another opportunity to become strong for Him … by choosing to be meek like Christ. That IS what I asked for so many years ago – for Him to take away my selfish ambitions. He showed me that succumbing to the bickering and justifying my side of the story would only escalate the situation. My boss was not looking for answers, for drama, or for personal agendas. He wasn't looking for anything. God reminded me He is the God of justice too. This did not have to be my battle to fight. So I swallowed my pride, put on the cloak of meekness, and chose to let it go.

At times, I still struggle with finding my “inner meek”, and sometimes I am not successful. But guess what? When I let this specific slander go, as I gave it over to God and in return was filled with God’s grace, peace ensued. The weight of reputation and pride lifted and was replaced with God’s forgiveness. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, I became a little more like Christ – a little more holy.


Prayer –Thank You, God, for opportunities to become more Christ-like, more holy. I pray we choose to say yes to those opportunities every time. Yet even when we do fall, and when we chose pride, selfish ambition, or anger, You are there for us then too. For the life, work, death and resurrection of Jesus, we are eternally grateful. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment