Tuesday, October 1, 2013

You Gotta Play to Win
By Cortney Donelson

Luke 16:22-23
“The time came when the beggar (Lazarus) died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.”

Source: Unknown













I have certain boundaries that I like to believe keep me safe.

I refuse to leave the house with the clothes dryer running, I don’t play with fire or run with scissors, and I always avoid shiny plants with three leaves. This helps me to avoid burned houses, lost eyesight, and itchy rashes. Likewise, I don’t typically play the lottery. It’s too risky. Gambling addiction is not something to which I want to fall prey. Only if the jackpot is $33 million, $333 million, or more than $500 million, will I buy a ticket. I set boundaries for myself when it comes to taking risks. It’s just what I do.

So, when my husband sent me a text saying his co-workers were going in together on the $600 million Powerball lottery, my response was simple: “You gotta play to win.”As I hit send on my return text, the phrase rang a bell in my heart. I know the sound well. God was giving me another title.

Soon, a question took up residence inside me: Why don’t more people accept Jesus' invitation to follow Him? I think many of us would answer: Because it’s risky.

There is a risk in going all-in with God. Maybe we believe that we will miss out on certain things if we become truly committed to His will – comfort, happiness, security, wealth, our own plan for our lives, relationships the list goes on. The truth is there is a risk.

But I have to share something: In the "following Jesus" gamble of a lifetime, both the reward AND the journey itself are worth the risk! If we are not able to surrender those earthly things we tend to over-value, we may lose what God values for our eternity. In fact, at the end of our lives, whether we win or lose in God's eyes is the only thing that matters. The rich man in the story of Luke 16 was successful by society's standards. The fear of losing everything of value if He chose to follow God outweighed his understanding of what he might gain for his sacrifice. He believed the risk too great. He chose his worldly possessions over a God who could give him everything he would ever need for thousands of years to come. This rich man didn't play to win; he played to lose. And he lost big!

Luke shares a story told by Jesus to help illustrate the enormity of not playing to win for God's glory. Jesus wanted the message to be clear: The risk is worth the reward. “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.” Our lives here are temporary. Possessions, success, material goods and accolades – they all stay here when we leave this earth. If we choose Jesus now, our illnesses, our fears, our pain, and our tears will vanish when we meet Jesus in Heaven.

In his book, “Not a Fan,” Kyle Idleman writes, “The most dangerous part of following Jesus tomorrow isn't what you will lose between now and then. That’s not the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing that can happen is that tomorrow might never come.”  We are not promised another day here in our temporary home. One day, tomorrow never came for the rich man in the Book of Luke. He lost based on his choices on earth. Once he realized that, he tried to save his brothers who were living much like he had.

So he (the rich man) called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

For me, this story is quite frightening. It paints a scary picture of Hades and calls it a "place of torment” – as in a forever and ever place of torment.

The Bible makes this plain and simple: There is one guaranteed way to heaven – through a decision for Christ made now. Not tomorrow. Not next year. Not when the kids are grown. Not when you retire. Certainly not when you have your life together. Jesus died on that cross and rose from the dead for you – for me – for now. You gotta play to win today. 

Tomorrow just may be too late.
                                                                                              
Oh – and the Powerball lottery outcome? We won! Eight dollars split eight ways. Kaboom!


Prayer
  Lord, I chose to follow You today, tomorrow, and all the rest of my days here on earth. I am all-in for Your cause. Please give me the courage to say yes to You in times where I will be tempted to play to lose out of fear for what I may miss out on here. Heaven is worth it. You are worth it. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment