Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Waiting Therapy
By Cortney Donelson

Source: Unknown















Lamentations 3:24 (NIV)
“I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.”

As a licensed physical therapist, I know the four stages of ice therapy forward and backward. First, there is the cold stage. The satisfying cold sensation soon turns to tingling and burning in the next stage. The third stage is the aching stage. Finally, the fourth and most important stage is numbness. Presto! Your pain is gone.

Recently, God asked me to wait on Him for something I had been pursuing for a long time. I agreed, keeping His Word in my heart. “I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.” As I spent countless months in that season of waiting, the Lord showed me that like my patients who experience those four stages of cold therapy, I would experience similar phases in this God-designed “waiting therapy.”

The Cold Stage: When a person in pain first places the ice pack on the offending body part, there is a moment of relief. The cold energizes the patient and leaves them feeling good. That’s what happened 18 months ago, when a kind of pain emerged in my life. The offender was my part-time job. The number of hours I worked for this remote role – one that allowed me flexibility and the opportunity to be home with my young children – started to dwindle as the client pool dried up. What had been 50 billable hours per month plummeted to an average of two. Money started to get tight. Yet from the start of the slide, I had a sense that it was God closing this door for me, not some trial or tribulation propelled by any worldly cause. So, I had a certain peace about it. Then, when God provided a glimpse of what was in my future, I became energized. As I waited for God to show me more and lead me onto my new path, I was able to remain eager and feeling good. There was no anxiety – only an energized waiting. I was in Stage One of waiting therapy.

The Tingling and Burning Stage: Several months into that excitement, I have to admit, I started to get edgy. My trust in God never waned, but my ability to understand His timing started to diminish. Just as with cold therapy, that initial pleasant feeling of energized waiting became less … nice. This was uncomfortable waiting. Just as my patients look at me with a question in their eyes as the tingling and burning increase, I looked up to God with a question of my own. This isn’t as fun, anymore, God. Why so much waiting? I had become nervously patient. I found myself in Stage Two of waiting therapy.

The Aching Stage:  This is gut-check time. During cold therapy, patients tend to reach toward their ice packs in anticipation of removing them. The aching seems unbearable – sometimes worse than the original pain. I always stop them. This is not because I am some mean-spirited physical therapist intent on proving the adage, “no pain, no gain.” It is because I know what is to come.

The wait in my life became agonizing, as well, as I entered a time of painful waiting. For more than a year, my spending had far outweighed my earning, and my bank account was showing signs of strain. My nervous patience turned into a frustrated and somewhat defeated IMpatience. I looked up to God as fear began to scratch at the outer walls of my heart. Had I missed something?

Then I did something for God that I have always urged my patients to do for me. I trusted God because I realized His timing and His plan were trustworthy. I was reminded that this is the stage that made Job famous. It is the stage about which Jesus and His disciples teach us throughout the New Testament. In 1 Peter 1:6-7, the apostle Peter praises the Lord and reminds God’s people of the living hope found in Jesus:“In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith – of greater worth than gold … may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”  I looked at all the past moments stamped with God’s faithfulness, and I let go of the fear creeping into my heart.  I wanted my faith proved genuine, so I said to God: Your will be done. I do trust You.

As it turns out, God was developing my perseverance during my waiting therapy. I could have reached out and attempted to move plans forward on my own. Just as my patients have the choice to remove that ice pack too early, I could have tried to make things happen independent of God and His timing. As the weeks went by, I instead chose to follow Scripture and keep waiting – leaving the aching and longing in place rather than going forward alone. As it turns out, I finally reached that sweet stage where all the pain disappears, where God makes things good as He unfolds His curiously awesome design. My wait ended with something spectacular – a dream job – one I could never have found or created on my own.

Are you waiting on the Lord? No matter what stage you are in, take heart. The wait is worth it!

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.


Prayer –Thank You, Lord, for our waiting therapy. It builds character and perseverance … and trust in You. After all, trust is our primary task, and Your timing and plans have never ceased to amaze.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment