Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fleshing it Out
By Cortney Donelson

1 Samuel  6:7-8 (NIV)
“The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.”

Some of you know this already: I am writing a book.

I would like to admit something here: it’s hard. Wait - it’s more than hard. It is such an enormous task – an overwhelming challenge really – that at times I wonder if I will finish it before my preschool-age daughter strides across the stage at her high school graduation.

But it’s fun too. The writing of this book is producing endless excitement because with every word I type, I am finding my purpose in this tricky, rat-race kind of world. I say “the writing” rather than “my writing” because it truly is God’s book. Many times, I have gone back to re-read chapters and wonder how the sentences have been constructed just right. I skim over paragraphs for the hundredth time and find myself in awe of how the message has come together. It is not me. It is all God.

As I painstakingly tried to construct a portion of a chapter for the “dozenth time” the other day, I gave myself this order: Just sit down and do it; flesh out this hard part. As soon as the period signifying the end of my thought was scripted across my brain, I began laughing out loud at myself. The error of my mindset was like a blazing neon sign above the door to my heart. Flesh it out? That, my dear self, is precisely why this part has been so hard to write.

Source: Unknown
I don’t want my flesh on the pages of this book. I don’t want my selfish goals, my flawed writing skills, my prideful ambition, or my dysfunctional views to be the highlights in this story that God is writing through me. I want His fingerprints all over it. I want His selfless love, His spiritual stamp, His dreams, and His message to be as evident as that neon sign – the one that blinked over the door to my heart. This book is God’s heart for you, just typed out through my experiences. So, if I try to “flesh it out” without prayerfully allowing God to overtake my words, I have not done Him, or you, any justice.

The expression “to flesh it out” means to add details or clarify a grand plan. This book is one of God’s grand plans for my life. So rather than trying to meticulously craft something on my own without submitting to God’s leadership and direction, I want to “Spirit it out” instead. I need to tap into my deep places where the Holy Spirit reigns. It’s the only way to do this thing right.

King Saul wanted to do things right too – at least initially. As God called Samuel to anoint Saul as king, Saul was able to “Spirit it out” and do things he never would have been able to do without God. “The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.” (1 Samuel 6:7-8) Did you hear that? When you live out God’s purpose for your life, “… you will be changed into a different person … (you will be able to) do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.” I have never written a book before. In God’s perfect timing, just like with Saul, He came not just upon me, but powerfully upon me, so much so that I am able to put blessed words to my story despite my lack of experience or training. My hands found this laptop just as His message was ready to be told, and He is with me.

There is a song called “Steal My Show” by Toby Mac. It’s one of my favorites. I like to soak in the words of it before I do anything in Christ’s name or for God’s glory. Here is the chorus:

If You wanna steal my show
I'll sit back and watch You go
If You got somethin' to say
Go on and take it away
Need You to steal my show
Can't wait to watch You go, oh, oh
So take it away

Maybe I am not alone. Perhaps you are trying to flesh something out on your own without handing over those leadership reigns to God. Perhaps you are changing jobs or even careers without allowing God to lead you to the correct path. Or maybe you find yourself working for man instead of for God. Some of you may be painstakingly planning something for God’s glory without dutifully allowing Him to “steal your show” because you are working within your timing, your goals, and your ambitions. 

If there is something you need to “Spirit out”, let’s pray through this together…


Prayer – God, lead us. Lead our life’s journeys, use our gifts, help us Spirit out our difficult circumstances, and encourage us to submit to Your ways. I pray we remember to tap into Your power and strength that resides from within rather than rely on our own flesh and skills. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!

© 2013 As A Clay Jar. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment