Saturday, December 10, 2016

Advent Reflections: Day 10
By Cortney Donelson













Revelation 17:14
These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is LORD of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful. 
The gifts brought to the baby Jesus reveal he was accepted as a king.
At the time of Jesus's birth, gold, frankincense, and myrrh were traditional gifts given to royalty in the Middle East. 
This idea convicted me not too long ago. My walk with Jesus doesn't always reflect every aspect of the relationship we have together or every position He holds. It's comfortable for me to relate to Jesus as Savior. Following Jesus as my servant makes sense to me. I can even relate to Christ as my brother and co-heir in eternity, though that gives me chills and upon deep reflection, causes me to drop to my knees in gratitude. However, it's the title of Jesus as King that I too often minimize or even forget. 
Today's culture, the American society, and my own naivety concerning history and government prevents me from truly understanding this dynamic position of King of kings. Not so in the culture of Jesus's birth. Jesus was and is royalty. He is the supreme ruler of all the Nations. And, even as a newborn lying in a dirty manger among farm animals, both Jew and Gentile recognized Him as King.
I can't help but ask myself this Christmas season, do I acknowledge this position of His? Do I allow Him to rule over me - my heart, my soul, my thoughts... my whole life? 
 Jesus, You are King of kings. I ask for Your forgiveness. At times, I forget. I forget to allow You to rule my life and I certainly don't act like I trust Your supreme oversight at times. I want You to know that I trust You implicitly. Thank You for Your grace and wisdom in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment