Saturday, December 17, 2016

Advent Reflections: Day 17
By Cortney Donelson














Luke 1:46-48
And Mary said:     "My soul glorifies the Lord       and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,      for he has been mindful       of the humble state of his servant."
Every year, I prayerfully select a word by which I will live, make decisions, and prioritize my commitments and activities. Many of you have followed my "Word of the Year" saga over the last several years. January 1, 2017 will introduce my sixth "Word of the Year." My words have become powerful reminders that my way is not God's way. My thoughts are not His thoughts. And, His will is the only will I wish to see done. A couple of my words caused me some trepidation. A few energized me for the entire year. The others were difficult but worth the struggle to abide, for I learned so much and was able to draw near to the One whom I believe hand-selected these words for me with divine purpose.
2012: Peace2013: Joy 2014: Courage2015: Obedience2016: Reflect 
This year's word came to me over the course of the last few months, as I sat in reflection more so than normal. This year's word is also a central theme in the Christmas story. Mary attributes 'my word' to the reason God chose her to carry His Son until His birth among the animals. Imagine that. If I can center my thoughts, actions, and soul around this word, I could very well become a significant part of the LORD's plan for 2017 and beyond. This word attracts the favor of God. I say, "Yes, please!" 
Humility.
The word itself is humbling. That God would handpick this word for me for the coming year means that perhaps it's something I need to work on. (Ouch!) Or, maybe He made this word clear to me because He has big plans for my life. I don't want to miss out because my character is not equipped to handle the majesty of His will for me. So, I (humbly) accept this word. Though again, I enter into the new year with a small measure of curiosity (ok, maybe mild anxiety!) about what this all means.
James 4:10 is clear. "Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you."
Zephaniah 2:3 is convincing. "Seek the LORD, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the LORD's anger."
1 Peter 5:5 is convicting. "...and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
What about you? Will you prayerful consider a word for 2017 ... one that you will use to guide every aspect of your life? You may be surprised where God leads. 


Father God, I know I probably don't even understand the full meaning of humility. As Jesus entered this world on Christmas Day so many generations ago, He entered in the most humbling of ways. I pray, I learn from that and from the 33 years He spent on this earth. I pray I clothe myself with a humility to the extent that when others watch me, they know it is not of me. I pray that my humility points them directly to You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment