Friday, December 16, 2016

Advent Reflections: Day 14, 15, and 16
By Cortney Donelson

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.


I am now three days behind with my advent devotions. In another life, I would have considered that an epic fail. My relentless pursuit of meticulousness in combination with my current tardiness would have propelled me into internal chaos. I think I can now admit this ... I had a problem which the most potent of drugs may not have squelched. It was called perfectionism. In this past life I speak about, I would have chastised myself, angry in my belief that writing a two-minute devotion wasn't that difficult to do every day, especially if I was having quiet times with the LORD anyway. No wait! In thinking further, I have determined that my old self would  not have even let it get to this point. I would have stayed up late to get them done on time, likely resulting in illness and overall nastiness at best. My loved ones would be taking cover about now. My old self was a disaster

Thankfully, I am a new creation. My old self continues to die a little every day while I am being transformed from the inside out. So, I have to say, there was a flutter of disappointment after the first missed devotion. Then, there was a slightly more intense prick of frustration with the second day. But... rather than convince myself that I should have done better with this "little project" of mine to honor advent with a daily devotion, I instead followed Matthew 11:28-30.  

This Christmas, I am choosing to honor Christ with intentional pauses. I am choosing to take His yoke and learn from Him. Jesus spent his busiest years smoothly gliding between work and rest.  I have been quite busy this month. So, I know I must take His yoke and lean into Him more often to balance my soul. Humility starts with realizing I don't have to - no, I can't - do everything. My soul needs a break to sit with the One who can replenish me, the One who entered Earth over 2000 years ago alongside a bright star and a Heavenly host proclaiming His arrival. The child who not only saved us, but continues to teach us through The Word and the Holy Spirit. I desperately want to learn. 




Jesus, I want to accept Your grace, learn from Your teachings, and call on You to give me rest. This has been a turbulent few weeks, and I pray I sit still and know that You are God. I pray I don't miss the reason for this holiday. I pray we all take Your yoke and learn. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment